Monday, July 20, 2009

Happy Anniversary Man on the Moon

So, if you've watched TV at all this week, somewhere in between the coverage of Michael Jackson's death, and Walter Cronkite's death, was coverage of how today is the 40th anniversary of man stepping foot on the moon. I, of course, don't remember this from when it happened live because I wasn't born yet. I do, however, remember when a man on the moon was the MTV logo (see picture). That was back when MTV (Music TV) had actual music that was played on the network, but I digress.

The most disturbing factoid about the 40th anniversary of the moon landing, a fact that I just realized today, is that I was born roughly 9 months after the moon landing. Why you say is that disturbing? Well, consider this. My older sister was born 9 months after the assasination of JFK. My mother always joked that there was nothing but coverage of JFK on TV for days when that happened and they got bored. Whoa! When the moon landing was on TV, I'm assuming that hogged the airwaves as well. And it would appear that when my parents had their fill of breaking news, their fall back recreational activity of choice was procreation. Ack! Must erase visual of my parents doin' the deed in the 60s. You know it involved some cat glasses (on my mother's part), and some Aqua Velva cologne (on my dad's part), and probably some Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass all over the turn table. Ack!

No comments: