Sunday, November 23, 2008

I Smelled Chris Meloni

I have a love/hate relationship with People magazine.

I love People magazine because the articles are short and total fluff. Jeff Goldblum's character in the movie The Big Chill described his job as a People contributing editor by saying "I can't write an article longer than the average person can take the average crap." Not that I'm reading it during that....but I have to say I like short little ADD articles sometimes.

I hate people magazine because of the stigma attached to it. It isn't the same stigma as something like National Enquirer, but being seen with one in public certainly doesn't give you that appearance of "look at me, could I be any smarter?" So I'm forced to read my People magazine in private.

This week, not only am I reading my People magazine in private, but I'm smelling it. Nope, not perfume samples. Scratch and sniff celebrities. When did this happen? I have to say Chris Meloni smelled pretty damn good. Although I love him on Law & Order SVU, sometimes it's hard for me to get out of my mind that he was "Freakshow" in the movie Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle.

I also found myself nose deep in my People magazine smelling Taye Diggs and Michael Phelps (Taye = tasty, Michael = smelled like ass). I also half smelled some other dude that I didn't even know, which furthered my self-induced shame at my whole People magazine reading experience. Shame on you People magazine!

Oh yeah, so you know what I wasn't doing while I was scratching and sniffing random celebrities? Writing my NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) novel. As of this weekend, I've officially thrown in the towel on my prospects of getting a 50k novel outta my head and into my laptop in 30 days. Apparently I'm in good company, as only approximately 15% of those who enter the competition actually make it to 50,000 words by November 30th. Yay, quitters! I do, however, have a brilliant idea for a novel in my head, and hope to eventually get it somewhere suitable like the NY Times best seller list. Guess I should do more writing and less celebrity smelling, right? Hmmm...I wonder what Stephen King smells like?

No comments: