Monday, August 4, 2008

Craigslist

For Sale: Stunning yellow chair with elegant silver accents. Mild cat urine scent. Paid $400 in 1972, sacrifice for $375!

Is it just me or does this seem too much like the average Craigslist for sale ad lately? People are getting more clueless.

Now don't get me wrong, I love me some Craigslist. I sold most of my furniture on Craigslist when I moved from California to Washington State in 2005. Some of the items (coffee table, dining set) had originally come from Craiglist, so I believe that's like recycling, right? But lately, and I don't know if it's the sucky economy or what, but people have been listing stuff that not only should NOT be for sale, but selling things they should actually have to PAY to have someone haul away.

The picture above isn't of an actual chair I found on Craigslist, by the way, but I have to admit it is more stylish than many I've seen on there. At least this one has some duct tape on the gaping holes. Some pictures just show the gaping holes and have accompanying ads that claim "minor wear and tear." In one picture I swear I saw an actual animal copping a squat on the item of furniture. Since I've been looking at desks lately on Craigslist, my other pet peeve is people who show a picture of their furniture item while it is covered with so much crap that you can't even tell what the surface looks like. Makes me scared to want to enter that person's home, if they are more than willing to post pictures of their crap-filled decor on a public website. What must the areas of their home that they don't take pictures of look like? Hmmm...

At any rate, I think there needs to be a Craigslist Rules of Conduct. Up near the top of the list needs to be the rule that sellers must preface their ad title with the word "*CRAP*," yep nice and bold like that, if they are selling something that is crap. This would certainly save me a buncha time while looking for something cool.

No comments: